Sunday, June 17, 2012

Intentionality

Well, this week has been really busy, but still good.  I anticipate that this is how the rest of my time here will be.  This up coming week in particular because I have 3 tests and a teaching project that I must prepare for.  In the midst of busyness the Lord continues to speak to me in His still small voice and teach me in the most unexpected ways.  This last week specifically there has been three things He has been impressing upon me.  First, during the week I had a couple of days where all my time outside of class was spent reading and doing homework.  Being here I have to be very strategic in the time that I have because there is not much free time.  I have to decide what is the most important thing to get done and plan on when to get the rest of it done.  Specifically on Tuesday and Wednesday when I was trying to schedule out my days while walking to class the Lord just spoke to me and pointed out that I am strategic with my homework and how I spend my time because I value my grades.  I prioritize and plan what I value.  I felt the Lord then say "Do you value Me?  Do you value the people who don't know me?"  The rest of my week I have really evaluating my heart by the way I have spent my time this last year.  Have I really valued the power of the cross for salvation?  Have I really valued my unbelieving friends when I have not shared the pure gospel with them?  Have I been strategic in praying so those conversations and opportunities to arise?  And if I haven't been doing these things why?  Second thing the Lord has been impressing upon me is my need to pray/fast.  One thing that I struggle with is wanting to control things.  I want to do things on my own, or I want to help "fix" other peoples issues.  Specifically, my roommates both have so much going on back in Texas, and I wish so much just to be there and help them with everything they have going on.  Also many of my church friends are learning how to inductively study the Word together as they go through 2 Timothy.  I want to be there so much and walk through that with them, and continue to learn from my leaders there, but I can't be.  As I have been analyzing how I have been feeling about being away from my community at home and not being able to physically help with things or be involved, the Lord has been impressing upon my heart the need to pray for them.  It is so hard for me to pray for people sometimes because I feel like it is such a passive thing to do, when I feel like I need to actively participate.  I am reminded again even as I type this that I am powerless to change circumstances or the hearts of people, only God can do that.  The most powerful thing I can do for my friends is intercede for them, not try to fix all of their problems or change their hearts.
Third thing that I am learning is that I must have time to rest and refresh.  God truly knew His people when He gave them the command to have a Sabbath.  It is so easy at home and here to always go go go because there is ALWAYS something more to do.  Realizing that I must rest and have time to renew in Him but also knowing how to balance everything that must be done is  challenge.  Again it goes back to being strategic with my time in praying for the people in my life, valuing the gospel by intentionally sharing it, and carving out daily time to rest in the Word and weekly time to rest in body and spirit. 
While these are not new things the Lord has been speaking to me about, it has been a good time of self reflection and evaluation on what do I really value. Pray for me this week in my busyness that I would be faithful in obedience as the things the Lord is revealing about things about my heart and my sin tendencies.
Blessings and Peace to you all.

Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment